We are half way through the week, so it’s time for another Wedding Wednesday post!
Asking your significant other to spend the rest of their life with you is one of the most important questions you will ever ask or be asked. (Notice how we say significant other instead of girlfriend- we believe proposals can be done by anyone of any gender to anyone of any gender.) A proposal should be meaningful to both of you- whether that means a romantic walk in the park where you first met, proposing on the ferris wheel at your favorite amusement park, coordinating a flash mob, or proposing at home surrounded by family and friends, you should take time to consider what is meaningful in your relationship and build the proposal around it.
When beginning to plan your proposal you first want to consider a ring and the cost associated. Make sure you know your significant other’s preferences (you don’t actually have to ask them, you can talk to family and friends or take a look at what jewelry they wear for inspiration) and then begin your search! A ring doesn’t just have to be a diamond solitaire, there are thousands upon thousands of great options!
- Gemstone rings are beautiful and unique; they can also be very sentimental. You can choose their birthstone, your birthstone, or a gem that is otherwise meaningful to them.
Photo From: Gemvara
- Delicate Bands. There are a lot more couples choosing a band with beautiful detail as an engagement ring/wedding band. The ring becomes extra special as it is the on you will propose with and marry your significant other with!
Photo From: Etsy
- Engagement Rings for Guys. More and more men are the ones being proposed to these days, which is pretty fabulous, if you ask our opinion! We are seeing so many great options for male engagement rings now that you shouldn’t have any trouble finding one for your significant other!
Photo From: Love and Pride
As we mentioned before, it is important to pick a meaningful location for your proposal. Perhaps there is a cafe you both love to go to for breakfast or a favorite painting at a museum- ultimately what matter is that the location is special to you both.
- Perhaps you want to propose in front of your favorite fountain in Central Park. (Clicking on this link will take you to the Youtube video where you can witness the whole proposal that includes an incredible flash mob!)
Photo From: Go See Do Arts
- Maybe your significant other has been away for an extended period and you want to catch them off guard at the airport to signify their return and the start of your new life together.
Photo From: Shine Yahoo
- Sporting events can be amazing places to propose. Take this fantastic couple who got engaged at an NHL Game on the ice! Alicia (the one being proposed to) is a HUGE Ottawa fan and her girlfriend knew this would be the perfect place to propose. How sweet is this! (If you click on the link under the photo, you can even watch the amazing proposal!)
Photo From: Equally Wed
Deciding who to involve in the proposal and who to tell can be a very difficult decision to make. You want to make sure to think about how your significant other will feel about other people being involved, as some people would rather it just be an intimate moment. Other people, however, would just love to have their family and friends involved!
- Proposing in front of family at an event can make the proposal that much more special. Being able to celebrate such a big milestone with your family is such a special treat!
- Flash Mob proposals are very trendy right now. They are a great way to set the stage for a proposal your significant other will never forget!
Photo From: The Heart Bandits
- We featured this proposal this morning on our Facebook page. We absolutely love everything about this proposal! He makes up a story about how she needs to take care of his nephew that night while he works. She arrives at her soon-to-be Brother-in-law’s house to find a dress, necklace, and roses next to a laptop. She pushes play to find a video of her soon-to-be husband telling her he isn’t at work and that a car will be there in 10 minutes to pick her up and that there is a surprise in the car for her to look at during the 10 minute drive. When she gets in the limo, she finds a book he had made dedicated to their relationship. The last few pages are perhaps the most important though, because they are pictures of her parents, brother, grandparents, best friends, and his family holding signs congratulating her on her engagement. We love that he kept the proposal intimate between the two of them, but still had all of their family and friends involved! Watch the proposal here: Youtube Video
What will you say?
For most people, planning exactly what they will say when they propose is the hardest part. Some choose to write a poem or a song or even memorize a speech. Other people choose to say whatever they feel at the moment. Still others prefer to let a song or a sign do the asking. No matter how you decide to propose, choosing what you will say is one of the most important parts!
Here are some great tips from The Knot on how to decide what you will say: The Knot Article
There is a lot of work that goes into planning a proposal, but it will all be worth it when you see the smile on their face and hear them say yes!
For help planning the perfect proposal, Contact us today and schedule a complimentary consultation!
- Wedding Wednesday – Engaged! (catmelnykphotography.wordpress.com)
- Gay Sailor Returns Home, Surprises Boyfriend With Proposal (queerty.com)
- Get Engaged, Flash Mob Style (nyxevents.wordpress.com)
- Smooch Wedding Rings’ Proposal Ideas (smoochringsblog.wordpress.com)